Thursday, July 31, 2014

Bruce got sentenced to 10 years

Here's the News : http://www.channel3000.com/news/former-bishop-to-be-sentenced-in-deadly-owi-crash-case/27243598

I'm crying and listening to loud rock music. Not sure how else to function at the moment. So I guess I'll share my pain with you.

As someone called to this synod by Bruce and then as one who was ordained by him… I'm very attached. I will hold all other Bishops up to his standard. It is very high.



The minute I found out about Maureen Mengelt's death, I was sick to my stomach. I'm still sick to my stomach and I grieve the loss of a mother to children, a wife to a husband, a friend, and so much more. I grieve whenever I drive by the intersection where Bruce killed Maureen. I grieve the people who hate Bruce and I feel their judgement and hatred as someone who loves Bruce and wants to justify any piece of this tragedy that I can.

It took me a long time to say "Bruce killed Maureen." I liked the language that danced around it. "Bruce was operating the vehicle that struck Maureen and resulted in her death." It sounds nicer. Less malicious. Less tragic. And while Bruce certainly did not mean to kill anyone, he did make the decision to drink and drive. In the end, Maureen died and Bruce was at fault.

In his trial Bruce said, "I have never been so sorry. Sorry is such an insufficient word for this kind of guilt." And when I saw him months ago I felt this from him. A kind of numb shock and sadness that was profound.

Because when we are grieving, we aren't just grieving for Maureen's death. I grieve the choice Bruce made and the way alcohol can destroy life after life after life. I grieve the way the world is perceiving this. I made the mistake of reading comments on one of the earlier pieces of news media around the trial. BIG MISTAKE. There is so much hatred being flung at him, not just because he drank and drove, but because he is a religious figure. Because it was a Sunday afternoon. Because he was on his way to a church function.

He is just a human like each and every one of us, but as a bishop, he represented the church in such a public way. This is not just a man who drank and drove. Not just a pastor, even. But a bishop.

For all who are angry at Bruce, know that he is grieving. He feels the weight of this. I feel the weight. The synod and the ELCA and the Church feel this. Tonight, I join in the collective sorrow and pain of so many.

God of hope, I turn to you in sorrow at the great tragedy of April 7th, 2013. Be with Maureen's family and friends and give them peace and time to grieve. Be with Bruce. Dwell with him in his sorrow and guilt. Be with the synod staff, the synod, the ELCA, and my colleagues who are close to him. Be with me as I process and grieve the implications of April 7th and today's sentencing. Hold all those who struggle with alcohol like Bruce. Watch over all who enjoy running like Maureen. Restore a heart broken community and a grieving people. To your care we cling, amen. 

4 comments:

  1. Thank you, Pastor Alison - we needed to read this tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This articulately says so much of what I am feeling. Thank you, dear sister in Christ, for your compassionate heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving words for a difficult day. Bless you Pastor

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said. Bruce is following what the law lays out for him because of what happened, and the Lord will judge him, just as He will us all, later on. It is not up to us to judge him, but to grieve, cope, and try to love through the loss.

    ReplyDelete