Tuesday, November 22, 2016

It's the End of Facebook as I Know It and We'll Be Fine

Raise your hand if you are sick of the hearing about the election and president elect! *everyone raises hand*

It has been two solid weeks of grief for me. There are bright spots to be sure. Handing out communion and telling person after person (both in their homes and at church) that THIS is the body of Christ broken for them - well there is something very healing in that. An awareness that God is here with us in this muck and mire.

In my grief, I composed a sermon that spoke to my fears for those who are marginalized. I spoke about my love for my little Godson who is biracial and family members who are biracial or black. I spoke from the heart. For some, it was exactly what they needed to hear. People pointed to their safety pins on their shirts during the peace or gave me big hugs as they left the sanctuary after worship. On Monday, I waited in my office for the phone calls. Nothing. Tuesday? Still nothing. No emails. I relaxed a little. Perhaps it was received in the intention it was given. I was getting only good feedback! Even feedback from the retired pastor in my congregation who said he thought it was an excellent sermon and was heartfelt.

Until today, when I learned that some people heard only hate and blame in that sermon. They felt as if I discredited all the praying and soul searching they did before they voted as well as all the ways they daily promote love and tolerance and acceptance and had for years.

This was not my intention. But I cannot blame them for hearing the sermon this way. While I'm always very careful what I say in my sermons and in conversation with people, I've felt freer to share things on Facebook, trusting that people knew it was food for thought - things calling all people to condemn hatred, posts celebrating steps President Elect Trump has made for good, and so on. However, for some, this was not only unhelpful, it was their pastor waving a big liberal flag and whacking them on the head with it. NOT GOOD.

I've been asked to withhold my political views from FB for the time being. I've been asked before. Twice. So their worries were justified when I amped up my FB posts after the election. The posting was done out of fear for a country that would follow the path of Germany in allowing the atrocities of Nazism. The posting was done in response to a call from marginalized friends and strangers to speak out against the hate. The actual result? Likes from friends who agreed. Alienation and hurt from those who did not.

So I'm done with FB. I grieve this loss but have tried before to post only the bright, furry things of my world. It feels inauthentic and plastic and is not the kind of presence I want to have on FB. I'm choosing to pull back from social media and focus on my congregation where I have been called. Focus on conveying a message of inclusivity, collective action, and sharing God's great, big, wide, huge, gigantic love for all of us - one that people can actually hear no matter where on the political spectrum they sit, especially if it differs from their pastor.


3 comments:

  1. You are such a gift. So thankful you are in my life Allison. They are so lucky to have you. I'm jealous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm proud of you! I love you! You're not alone in the social media struggles - both in feeling inauthentic and in getting congregational criticism. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry that you are feel that you need to be done with FB. Although I am of the same mind as you are on many things, I occasionally disagreed. When that happened, I would move on, like an adult who can recognize that in this country we are allowed to have differing opinions. I guess the important part here is to have a separation from your position as pastor of your flock and your personal political views. Again, I am sorry.

    ReplyDelete