Saturday, May 3, 2014

Experimental Zone - Watch for Falling Objects

This is an experiment, if you will. I spent all four years of seminary (and that awkward transition time before and right after seminary) blogging. I miss it.

On the one hand, I can't read all there is out there as it is. Why would I want to contribute more text to a world that is weary of text? Of reading. We are getting more and more visual as a culture and I'm definitely a part of that. I see a page of text and I better have a really, really good reason to read all of it. Otherwise, I'll read the first paragraph or skim.

On the other hand, people seem to need to hear my voice. I lament that it is unique, not only amongst my generation, but amongst Christians in general. I'm not trying to claim that I have a corner on this market. In truth, there are many who have said whatever I will say in a more eloquent way or a more succinct way. I have friends who write some killer blogs that I will likely link you to. And I will point you to amazing books if you want to know more. My voice is not a solo voice.

But I'm acting as a bridge. A blog as a bridge from the highly intellectual, theological, progressive world to a world that pulses with doubt and questions and craves conversation over conversion. People have told me I'm an approachable pastor. That's got to be a gift from God because I'm certainly not sure how I "do" that. At times, it is taxing to stop and listen to someone's story, though I'm usually glad I did.

If you are appalled by what I say, let me know why it bothers you - do not correct me. I believe we all have our own perspectives and this blog is mine. You cannot debunk my lens for seeing the world without debunking your own in the same breath. That being said, the biggest growths I've done in my life so far are when people questioned my perspective and offered an alternative angle. If you are in it for the conversation, comment away. If you want to convert, try preaching to my cats. (They're easily lured by Greenies, tuna flavor, and a warm lap.)

But I hope you'll see this blog as a starting point for conversation within your own world. A launching point for exploration into your faith.

Here we go. Thanks for joining in on the ride. 

1 comment: