Sunday, May 11, 2014

For the Mothers and Those Who Wish They Were


[If you are unfamiliar with Joan Walsh Anglund, go here: http://www.joanwalshanglund.com]

Happy Mother's Day, all! I'm pretty stoked that I get to see my Mama today. And my Grandma. We are celebrating Grandma's 90th birthday!!


What a babe, right?!

As a 29 year old, single woman without children (though I do love my cats), I can get stuck thinking about the future quite a bit. Wondering how far off it will be until I get to be a mother. I've been playing the "name game" for years, toying with nicknames, initials, and so on. And I've been very, very grateful to be auntie to several amazing kids (specifically H, Mads, Abs, TJ, Happy, & Ben). Because of them, I have great respect for all the mamas out there (and the daddies). And I appreciate how completely exhausting and difficult it is. But I know the joy it brings too and I yearn for that.

So today my heart is with all who yearn for one to care for, be it a mother or a child. I did a funeral for a precious five day old boy a few weeks ago. Today will be heartbreaking for that whole family. But at the funeral, the couple had photos of those few days with their son and they are filled with joy. Such JOY. They were grateful for those five days with him. And yesterday, news came to a friend that her adoption process just got stalled indefinitely. Hard news any day; I can't imagine the day before mother's day. Amy and Jacqui, my heart is with you both today.

God, our mother, thank you for the safety of your arms in the midst of the storms of life. Thank you for all who show us your love and guide us. Thank you for my mother, Kaye, and my grandmothers, Elaine and Phyllis, and all those who have shown me a piece of your love for me. Hold those who mourn today and give me patience as I wonder about the future. In your care, I feel safe. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment